Monday, February 8, 2010

Celebrating....Hometown Americana....soon to be a wonky quilt!


Real "classic" small town bar-front....

My interp in quilt block form....first of many for a crazy wonky quilt paying tribute to Price!


Dad, I love the collections of keys. Which one is to my heart?




Carbon County is known for the coal mining and dinosaurs. I love the slogan.....I would daresay as I child being raised there, I would have said it was on the "other side of the world". I now appreciate all that I did not when I was younger!




If you recall, I made a wonky American quilt for my father for Christmas. I love it and if you have not seen it on my blog, I encourage you to visit the post about "silver beavers". Judi from Greenfairy quilts stitched silver beavers, campfires and tents to celebrate my father's life devoted to Boy Scouts of America. The flag on the quilt is in honor of his years in the military. Above is a wall that my father made from the benches of the scout room that his past Scouts had painted and autographed. It is over 25 years old.





How Redneck and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My brother lives on 5 acres with his horse, mule, sweetie and adorable muppet dog that I have photoed before. I giggled when he told me that his yard has gotten so "Redneck" and in the summer he will be able to line them up....insinuating that then he will then no longer be Redneckin' it.






My father's collection of bicycles. The orange one is his latest favorite because of the double baskets. Why drive when you can pedal.....even when having bought lumber at the local Anderson Lumber store..... Now that was a feat and a sight to behold!





This is classic and guess what.... Saw ET here when I was in 3rd grade.




A favorite of mine, Catholic church a block from my home where I was raised. My favorite place for Christmas midnight mass. Still can smell the incense! Such a chilly walk home but some of the most peaceful minutes in my memory!


Mary Lou Weidman is a hero of mine and she recently posted a quilt that she had sent to the quilter of her trip to New Mexico. As I visited my family in Price this weekend, I was inspired to snap classic and not-so classic photos of where I grew up and convert to a wonky quilt....Hope you enjoy the above photos and the quilt blocks have begun........










5 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

can't wait to see these blocks! have fun with them!

Judi said...

I am excited to see what you come up with. Fun to see Price at it's best. I have been there before, my Grandparents lived there for a while when I was a teenager!

Vesuviusmama said...

Looking forward to those quilt blocks! And I want double baskets on my bike - how handy! If I didn't live on the side of a mountain, I'd bike more often - it isn't hard leaving, but it is hell getting back home!

RaeAnna said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures of your hometown! Looks like you had a great visit!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love this idea. I really love it. I may have to copy this. I was raised in a town in Pennsylvania and I have such great memories. I want to make a Reading PA quilt now! Fabulous idea. My mom is from Huntington so I've been to price a lot.