Monday, July 4, 2011

really?! Really?! REALLY?!!!!!!! Monday's Mantra...We all have a story....

Quilters are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I do not know where to start with the narrative of this post because my mind is racing from thought to thought! 

I title this story, "The Domino Effect of Friendship/ Blogdom".....

This morning I saw Peggy's name on the inbox and clicked....was excited for the mountain bike ride and then I was stopped in my tracks....

How many times have you clicked on a new email and then POOF! you are struck....

I began to cry and as many of you may be realizing as you read my posts, I am a crier and always have been.. It's an Em thing and has been since I was teeny.....

I gifted this tree quilt to Peggy to thank her for putting on the Story Quilt Show in Galveston this summer.  I thought it would be fun to give the curator the quilt that inspired my piece she was going to include in the show...

And what was once a tree and a stack of moons with a chewed corner by my dog, Porsche...
Was given it's own story by Peggy with the embellishment of text and Porsche!!!!!!!!  If you notice, Peggy used the same fabric for Porsche as I used for Maggie...

And now I have 2 quilts in the show and 1 very fun story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you asking, "What is the domino effect, Em?"

I would have never created this story quilt of Maggie the Ribbon Dancer and "I Dreamed of a Stack of Moons would have never been embellished if I hadn't.........

Met Victoria with BumbleBeans
Signed up for her 12"make it from nothing quilt swap
Assigned to mail my quilt to Cathy
Cathy told me of a lady, Diana, she knew who had been evaced from her home for flooding
I surpirsed her with a Sunshine quilt for an anonymous gleam of hope
Diana's sister, LaDonna, relentless in figuring out the anonymous gifter
Diana writing to me
I asked Diana if she knew of someone needing a quilt for a lift
She told me of her neighbor who had fallen and was in recovery
I decided on the tree quilt as a symbol of strength to gift to her
Porsche ate my quilt corner and I was commiserating to LaDonna
LaDonna told me of her sweet Fergus and Maggie and their antics with fabric
I created Maggie, Ribbon Dancer as a surprise for LaDonna
I visited Mary Lou Weidman's blog and saw a call for Story Quilts for a show
I contacted Peggy of my interest in submitting Maggie
Peggy wrote that I could enter....
The rest is history!!!!

And all because........

Good things come from unfortunate happenings!

What is your domino effect story? 

Love, Em

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a wonderful story!

Domino effect? I happened to visit your blog when you posted about clothing as a therapeutic tool (and white coat syndrome). I now own a white lab coat and have been gifted an amazing number of wonderful pieces by some fantastically talented blogging friends and soon I will be able to wear their inspiration and awesomeness.

Oh, and another one - enrolling in Mary Lou's JCCFS class last year, the lasting friendship that came out of that week, making a sample quilt for her new line of fabrics, and knowing that we will do our best to meet up and spend time together when she comes to my town to teach this fall ... all because I said "I WISH I COULD TAKE A CLASS WITH HER" last summer.

Dominos are AWESOME!

Lynette said...

Oh, wow!! This is so awesome! I just *love* what Peggy did! Good thing you still gave it to her. :D It's marvelous.

and, hehe - I'm a cryer, too - constantly opening my eyes all wide when watching shows so my family doesn't see my tears and laugh (good-naturedly, of course). Still, I think they're on to me, as Dev recently said, "My, What Big Eyes You Have, Mother. . ."

Bri!!! said...

Love domino effects! And I'm so a crier too!

♥Duff said...

My domino effect story will intersect with yours and then ours will intersect with quiltdivajulie when we all met at a Mary Lou retreat!!

3 cheers for friendship!!

ria vogelzang said...

I just love to see how people's lives connect and how a great Lord in Heaven must be smiling while He's connecting us all........
Love, Ria.

Diana and LaDonna said...

What we do or say can have such an impact on people and most times we don't give it a second thought. The power of a small gesture of generosity and thoughtfulness or a word of encouragement can spread like the ripples of water, ever increasing and affecting so many! Thanks for this reminder, Em!

LaDonna