Wednesday, July 11, 2012

MIrror, Mirror on the Wall....Unruly Quilter's Wordplay and fairytales are a fun pairing!

The apple does not fall from the tree.......Forbridden fruit.....Sour apples...Sean picked out this line of fabric, Nightshade while we visited Quilting Loft one day on our bikes. Been wondering how to put together using inspirations from the movie, Snow White and the Woodsman...Beginning to take shape.
I have always loved the look of fruit pieced and so I played with this little Granny Smith last night. My hope is to make many green apples to put on a barren tree and then one large sumptious red apple with the infamous bite marks. Maybe.....
I love Tonya the Unruly Quilter's fun that she has inspired in so many of us with her Word quilts and am excited to gotten my first MIRROR completed. Many more words to go and oh so fun! I will be using this visage of the witch for the mirrored image of the wicked woman in Snow White's fairytale but not sure where or how yet.....
And my creative experiment last night....I am thinking I may incorporate this silhouette of the witch comprised of crows in the barren tree trunk as though spying on the innocence of Snow White but unsure. Still early but fun to be trying so many different technics for this quilt. Have you read The Chaperone? AFter creating the above woman filled with crows I read the below paragraph and it got me started thinking about more projects with women and their fillers of their souls...... Enjoyable read but the final pages were a feast...the final paragraph reads, "She was every Cor she'd ever been: Cora X, Cora Kaufmann, Cora Carlisle. She was an orphan on a roof, a lucky girl on a train, a dearly loved daughter by chance. She was a blushing bride of seventeen, a sad and stoic wife, a loving mother, an embittered chaperone, and a daughter pushed away. She was a lover and a lewd cohabitator, a liar and a cherished friend, an aunt and a kindly grandmother, a champion of the fallen, and a late-in-coming fighter for reason over fear. Even in those final hours, quiet and rocking, arriving and departing, she knew who she was." Hmmmmmmmmm! E,

11 comments:

Jenny said...

you are amazing!

em's scrapbag said...

Your imagination and talent are amazing!

Miki Willa said...

The apple looks delicious - crisp and ready for eating. I absolutely love the crow design. Thank you, also, for sharing the words from the book. They really give one pause to think about all that we are.

Mary Keasler said...

EM! You continue to amaze me with your creativity.

Tonya Ricucci said...

WHEEE!

Kim said...

Ditto what Mary and Tonya said.
Love the descriptive paragraph too.

How did you make those great black birds?

Happy Sewing

Karen said...

Your creativity always amazes me!!

Sharon said...

Wow. What incredible images on your blog today. You did a great job on your MIRROR. Those were your 1st wonky letters?! And the apple looks so good. The lady made with the black birds just blows my mind. Beautiful! And the passage you quoted was very thought-provoking.

Lynette said...

Wow! Love the crow silhouette, and what a really fun project to be working on.

Clare said...

I love The Ghastlies! Trouble is you can't cut it up so have to do medallion quilts. Great letters and I love the apple.

Sharon said...

The silhouette with the crows is beautiful. Like the ny beauty,too. Ha ha ha