Monday, December 14, 2009

Day of the Dead creations with textiles, clay and paper mache by me and my crafty husband!




















A couple of years ago we were out of room and instead of moving, converted the garage into a playful man cave- drums, bar, theatre.....and a lot of Day of the Dead creations by my husband. I have included photos of his creations made from paper mache and/ or clay. He is the orginal artist of the home!!! Sean is currently woking on some marionettes for friends that have "Underoos" or "big boys" as my mom would call them. I began to make him a lap quilt for the room for when we are watching movies or listening to jam sessions....but......it became a colorful mural that is over the top! And while the wonky style is wacky wacky, Judi's quilting of each block is beyond magnificent. I didn't even have to unload my 401 K, but was prepared to do so! These photos are courtesy of Judi so visit her blog at Greenfairyquilts.com. If you are interested in the pattern I can talk to you about how to go about the blocks and have a riot. The next will be a Grateful Dead/ Haight-Ashbury creation. Looking at the Love/Haight website today and the VW buses are way too much. Could be out of control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have photos of hippie-ness, send them my way and I will interp in the quilt. Peace mon!

4 comments:

arlette said...

I saw that quilt in Green Fairy's blog, a whike ago, didn't know was yours, do you like skeletons, just because?, in Mexico the people celebrates el dia de muertos, with skeletons, have you been there?

Em said...

We love Mexico and love Costa Rica even more :D). We love el dia de muertos because Sean and I love to think that people we love who have died are still doing their hobbies and partying it up with God and friends. Majority of our home art is crosses and religious and I firmly believe that it is this that warms our home, Almost like a sanctuary. Except at our last Christmas party that has been described as a "rager". Sean and I love to have people in our home and enjoy the togetherness of peoples!

arlette said...

Yay for me!, you like Costa Rica, I think I like you, lol, I know in Mexico they make a big party for los muertos, I know they're in a special place, and they're with God, but we don't celebrate they way mexicans does. I like your house it looks comfy

Unknown said...

Hi Em!

I stumbled upon your site looking for inspiration for my fince's and I upcoming day of the dead/spanish culture/frida khalo themed wedding. It looks like you we're just in my neck of the woods! I live in Vashon, Wa. Looks like you visited the Betty McDonald farm. I Iove that place. Have also visited there years before I moved here. It is a magical island and I feel blessed to now call it my home :) I absolutely love the paper mâché figurines and your quilts! I plan to make many of my own figurines for the wedding. As soon as I saw your quilts (by the way did you go to the quilting shop here on the island?!? There's not many like it) I pictured one for the wedding. A story of our relationship depicted day of the dead style. Would love to see if you are interested and see if we could fit it into budget. Hope to hear from you! I love your blog you seem like you would be a great person to celebrate and have some drinks with! Lol