Sunday, March 20, 2011

Making the cut with Cuthbertson....All because of a selvage

Sowing seeds of Sepia...



Patchwork of Aussie land plowed, watered, and sprouting.....True colors will unveil when quilt is complete...Hopefully this eve...But until then...

Below is the story sequence of sir sepia...


Do you recall me writiing a couple months back that when I awoke early for work, this picture with a love note from Sean was lying on my computer...I awoke this morning thinking of Australia....

Please enjoy this famous poem on this Sultry Sunday morn...

THE AUSTRALIAN SUNRISE
by James Cuthbertson

The Morning Star paled slowly, the Cross hung low to the sea



And down the shadowy reaches the tide came swirling free.


The lustrous purple blackness of the soft Australian night


Waned in the grey awakening that heralded the light;


Still in the dying darkness, still in the forest dim


The pearly dew of the dawning clung to each giant limb,


Till the sun came up from ocean, red with the cold sea mist,


And smote on the limestone ridges, and the shining tree-tops kissed;


Then the fiery Scorpion vanished, the magpie's note was heard,


And the wind in the sheoak wavered and the honeysuckles stirred;


The airy golden vapour rose from the river breast,


The kingfisher came darting out of his crannied nest,


And the bulrushes and reed-beds put off their sallow grey


And burnt with cloudy crimson at the dawning of the day.




Do you see the CAME connecting the patchwork of garden and earth on the pic at top of Post?  (Wondering what CAME is?) Last night's post...


Last eve I was excited to share this stained glass piece created by a local artist and the CAME is the metal framework....Last night I fell to sleep wanting to make a stained glass project today using fabric....



The lineup..."PICK ME PICK ME PICKE ME!" can't you hear the imploring me?


"UNDER THE AUSTRALIAN SUN"....Title from a little MINI statement of a selvage...
and today's project....I am so excited!!!!!!!!



CELEBRATING the First Cut....



Solarized first strip of Earth....

or...



I am wanting to keep the true piece hidden until the end....This is fun playing with my new camera......



Thank you for joining me in CELEBRATING the continent Down Under...Come visit me later to see how my interp of honoring this land turns out...

Love, Em



2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Love the choices of fabrics and can't wait to see the final project. I can feel the heat from the Australian sun already!!!

I know well what came is as I have done a lot of leaded glass windows (186 for one house alone). Did you know it comes in H and U shapes as well as round and flat? Those are just the beginnings!!!

CharlotteP said...

THose fabrics have a hot Aussie look to them...can't wait to see your quilt!