Saturday, June 11, 2011

Amazing......


John Locke..Have you heard of this dear man?.... 2 1/2 years to create this LAST SUPPER and to hear his story of the begtinning to the end....9 feet of inspiration.  His tie-dye shirt matches the fabric that backs the quilt and was specially done for him.  To hear him describe the process, see a piece of this magnitude up close and then quietly look and witness its meaning....AMAZING!

The trunk show CELEBRATING Green Fairy was as marvellous as I dreamt it to be.  I sat in the middle with my mom and was so fun to listen to her stories, enjoy her dry sense of humor and think, "This girl is rockin' it!"  To hear the audience swoon at the quilting and ooh with pleasure at her original patterns...It was such a gift to see her CELEBRATED and to know her as a friend, woman, mother, wife, and peer.  Yep, shed a few tears and felt blessed to have been introduced to this lovely lady 2 years ago. 

Any my funny story....Judi had my quilt that I had pieced in her trunk show because of her quilting of it.  Judi had me raise my hand when showing it and as I was leaving the aisle a woman remarked, "What a lovely quilt, you are definitely not the look of a quilter...." 

And.......Roxy has a friend!  Mom bought a Bernina today and we have been quilting up a storm, can't wait to share tomorrow!!!

Hope you are all having a lovely Saturday, Em

7 comments:

Lynette said...

lol!!! What a funny story. I love startling people when my "look" creates unexpected mismatch of perception. :) Going over now to check out the John Locke!

Judi said...

Oh I hope Mom takes a picture of Bernie.

Karen said...

And I would say "What exactly does a quilter look like????" What a treat to be there with your mom. Can't wait to see your creations! Remember, beauty always waits. :)

Tangos Treasures said...

Glad you got to go with your Mom & see Judi "rock" the show!! Wish I could have seen her too! Cool on your Mom buying a Bernina!!!!!

quiltzyx said...

Sounds like you had a fabooo time at the show & lecture!
I am trying to catch up on my blog reading...I know I'm going to miss something, argh! But I just got to spend a whole week with my sister & the 2 of us drove to AZ & hung out with Dad for 3 days. :D My Dad just turned 94 in May, & is on oxygen for his pulmonary fibrosis, but doesn't let that slow hime down very much. He is a pretty awesome guy, still drives during the daylight, but does have a roommate to keep an eye on him.
We had Paula Reid as our speaker at my guild Thursday night, what a hoot she is! She's quilted something like 1200 or 1400 quilts, half of them queen size, a quarter king size, the rest smaller....all on her domestic sewing machine - no long arm for her!! I bought some of her batt scooters to help me with my quilting. We'll see!
I'm glad you don't 'look like a quilter' Em! Heeheehee! I don't either. My other sister was going to a wedding in Kentucky recently & was worried about what she was going to wear. She doesn't like to wear dresses or skirts, but the last wedding she went to in Tennessee, she was the only one in pants. I told her to just embrace her inner Artsy Fartsyness & don't worry about it! That made her laugh!!

Vesuviusmama said...

So, you don't look like a quilter, eh? Hee, hee, hee! I hear the same thing!

Sandra Henderson said...

I've seen this! He is the nicest man! A retired dentist, if I remember correctly. He did several portraits of his wife and a self portrait also, that were there that day. I bought several postcards,etc. and had him sign them. He is GREAT! I don't think his wife was with him that year. Isn't that quilt HUGE!?!? I kept going farther and farther back because it looked so neat in various distances. AMAZING!