Thursday, September 9, 2010

Celebrating photos of yesterday's fun bus adventure...


There are no smoke and mirrors when it comes to my job as a wilderness nurse and because it is in the raw, it works!  For a more glitzy site, you can go to http://www.snwp.com/ and check it out...Entrada is my home and the wilderness is my office on Wednesdays and any other lucky day I can steal away from our base office.

Yesterday was incredible and it was a fabulous 12 hours of driving, visiting clients/ students and sharing updates with you all as you wrote comments to me. 

The day began with me visiting the local bakery to pick up 1 dozen cupcakes for a student's birthday, frosted so beautifully when I picked them up and when I arrived at the camp, 1 big glob and due to the insane bumps along the way....Girls were thrilled! 

You can't go to a bakery without then visiting a local drive in that is to die for.  I keep thinking I need to submit Marv's to Diners Dives and Drive-ins.  Char and I had Diet Cokes with limes and this Shaman led us to the woods.


This is our map.....crazy as it seems, IT WORKS!  I love the "Pavement Ends"....beyond this arrow is where my favorite family of mustangs reside but they are staying very hidden this summer.

Stopped for this photo of the Utah/Nevada state line and guess who popped up, Victoria from BumbleBeans.  Isn't this a fun photo in that it looks like an oil painting?  The marvel of enough dirt and finger grease on my Blackberry lens....


These barb wire gates are my nemesis so I was grateful when Vesuviusmama, Clare and Maree all showed up to help me open, drive through the close again.  Gotta keep the cattle and mustangs in their assigned locations they tell me....

And through this gate we took out sutures from a client's leg, celebrated many fires being busted and chatted with my friend who likes to ask,

"Em, can we shoot the breeze?" 

What I love is that we then discuss everything from exercise, how often one can take Miralax and then to the moments I tear up, "I love this place and don't want to leave but the time is getting close."  "George" is a fav of mine!

My final group of adolescent boys was such a cozy atmosphere.  They were sitting around the campfire as dusk approached and a field staff was reading about a farmer's son.  It was so simple and so comforting and I would realize that my laughter was at times an interruption but you know me, I giggle every once in a while and with these boys it can be fun!!!

To drive home in the dark with stars is such a blessing and many prayers are offered as deer light up on the sides of the highway, cows are hidden in the oak and small owls flutter in the headlights as they sit on the road for the heat. 

And then...the moment I cherish, husband home at near midnight quietly waiting to greet me and a beer on the porch as we recant the day.....




5 comments:

maree said...

Oh boy Em, got tears in my eyes......what a day:) Must be hormonal (tee hee) You must love every minute of it. Talk about special moments. So glad I could be a part of your bus ride yesterday. Be sure to let me know when the next one is cos I'd sure love to come along again. Thanks so much for sharing it with us, bIg hugs, ciao

Clare said...

Glad to be of help ma'am. Looking forward to helping you celebrate the next one.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wahoo it was a fun!!

Char said...

Thanks Em! It was great fun!

Vesuviusmama said...

Where the Pavement Ends is one of those songs that I crank up REALLY LOUD and sing at the top of my lungs!!!